2013 was a great year for actors of African descent.
These guys could be taking golden statues home next year.
1. Lupita Nyong’o in a career launching heartbreaker, Patsey from 12 Years a Slave. Everything has probably been said about her, but her It Girl status is sign enough of her impact.
2. Chiwetel Ejiofor in one of the most devastating roles this year, with so much range and grace, in 12 Years A Slave. I can’t get that too-long hanging scene out of my head.
3. Idris Elba as a screen Mandela that finally brought the grit and fervour that had been missing in previous iterations. Elba is pretty much a superhero. Tall, unreadable, mischievous…He can play me in my lifetime movie if he wants.
4. Danai Gurira in a role that brought us a new leading woman archetype. She transported us into the inner life of an immigrant bride, her identity fresh and completely out of context, we forgot she spends most of her year fighting zombies…
5. Adepero Oduye’s role, though small, in 12 Years A Slave, brought clarity to McQueen’s vision of the film’s theme, ‘dignity and humanity’. Crying has never been used so successfully as a form of protest on screen, and that one monologue that will probably be used by actresses to audition in years to come. I’m a fan.
6. David Oyelowo’s firebrand activist in The Butler. I haven’t seen it, but his intelligence and gentility add depth to all of his roles including last year’s turn in Ava Duvernay’s ‘Middle of Nowhere’.
7. Barkhad Abdi’s much talked about breakout performance, who humanised the Somali Pirate for those who do not pay attention, and introduced the mass audience to what Somalis actually look like (cough…Hollywood).
There were so many award worthy performances last year! Reblog with your additions!
CNN finally reporting some real info! #ferguson #ripmikebrown #justiceformikebrown #justiceformike
Oh my God….they did itLook how staggering these statistics are. Racism in institutional; there are many actors involved in keeping it up. One of the highest roles is filled by cops. It’s no coincidence that black communities tend to have all white precincts. The data is here. Numbers don’t lie right?
"Return to your homes," they yelled over megaphones. "This is our home," the people of Ferguson answered.
Ferguson Police have dogs and shotguns. The unarmed crowd is raising their hands.
For anyone not following the Mike Brown story on Twitter: a 17 year old black boy named Mike Brown, who was supposed to start college tomorrow, was shot to death in Ferguson, Missouri by police while jaywalking. He was unarmed. He was shot 9 times.
Initial media reports claimed that an 18 year old black man had been shot and killed while fleeing police after shoplifting.
People in the neighborhood, including members of Mike Brown’s family, came out of their homes and began to protest, shouting “no justice, no peace,” and keeping their hands in the air.
Media reports claimed that a violent mob quickly formed around the shooting location shouting “kill the police.”
Spread this. Tell the truth about what happened to this boy. Tell the truth about what is happening NOW. The police and the mainstream media is painting him as a criminal, and his community as a violent mob.
SPREAD THIS. Don’t let them lie.
WE NEED FEMINISM BECAUSE WHEN LANCE ARMSTRONG GOT CANCER AND LOST A TESTICLE IT WAS ALL ABOUT HIS HEALTH AND HOW INSPIRATIONAL HE WAS BUT WHEN ANGELINA JOLIE GETS A DOUBLE MASTECTOMY TO PREVENT HERSELF FROM GETTING CANCER, IT’S ALL ABOUT HOW SHE WON’T BE A SEX SYMBOL ANYMORE AND HOW MEN ARE OFFENDED CAUSE SHE WON’T BE AN OBJECT FOR THEM
I’m pretty sure I reblog this already but this need to be reblog again
This girl was crying and begging the policeman not to hit her or any of her friends. Then the policeman started crying as well and he said to her: “You just hold on girl.”
The photo comes from protests happening in Bulgaria right now. Students are protesting poverty and corruption in Bulgaria’s Socialist-backed government, chaining themselves to the doors of Sofia University and clashing with police outside of parliament.
After the photo was taken it quickly went viral